Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Vietnam

I don't think I've mentioned on here that I'm going to Vietnam, have I?

Well, I am. I'm going to Vietnam. April 10th through June 7th, to be precise.

It's sort of funny (and sad, and probably a little racist)--when I spent the summer of 2015 in France, people didn't seem to be bothered by the fact that I had no concrete itinerary. I knew I was flying into Paris, I knew that Toulouse was my home base, and that was enough for everyone. When I flew over there, I had no idea that I'd be traveling to Nice or Bayonne, and I certainly didn't know I'd be spending a few days in Morocco.

My plan for Vietnam is essentially the same. I'm flying into Ho Chi Minh City, and that will serve as home base. I would love to visit other as-yet-to-be-determined Vietnamese cities. I have a multiple-entry visa, so there's a good chance I'll pop over to some nearby countries like Thailand and Cambodia as well, assuming I can meet their visa requirements. But people are freaking out that my itinerary for Vietnam isn't set in stone. My mother thinks I'm nuts. My doctor thinks I'm nuts.

But according to my research, Vietnam is a safe place for women to travel alone. Sure, there are bad people everywhere, but if I lived by that logic I'd never step outside my door. What's more, I'm an experienced and capable traveler. I'm good with directions, unafraid to try new foods, and comfortable with embarrassing myself in foreign languages.

This ain't my first rodeo.

My main goal in Vietnam is to ready my novel for publication. I was hoping to make big strides on it while I was in Amsterdam, but as it turns out, nannying three small children doesn't leave a lot of time for writing. (I said I was an experienced and capable traveler, not an experienced and capable au pair.) I did manage to leave editing notes throughout the entire manuscript, though, and I'm almost finished implementing those changes.

While I'm in Vietnam, far away from anyone I know, far away from the distractions of daily life (except all the work I'll still have to do so that I can afford to feed myself), I want to complete a draft that I'm comfortable giving to agents. Then, when I return, I can start sending it out and figure out what to do next. With my life, I mean. I was initially thinking of becoming a full-time freelancer, but now that the ACA is in jeopardy, another full-time job may, unfortunately, be necessary.

Lofty goals, I know. We'll see what happens.

Hey, have you been to Vietnam? Great! Please tell me what I should do. I'm all ears.

1 comment:

  1. You should talk to my sister and brother-in-law! Both of them have been to Vietnam and have traveled throughout Southeast Asia, so I'm sure they'd be full of good tips/connections :)

    ReplyDelete

Please say hi.