Saturday, December 31, 2016

Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep

Sometimes weird things happen when you travel abroad...

For example: two of your poems might get published in the Denver Quarterly and you don't even notice!

It's the first time I've ever had poems published, and I'm so proud of both of them--especially "Girls Look More," which, to be honest, I can't even believe came out of my brain. Can't thank the Denver Quarterly enough for selecting them and putting them alongside so many other wonderful authors. You should probably buy a copy (51.1)--not just because my poems are in there, but because you'll be supporting a great journal. Better yet, get a subscription!

It's so nice to receive good news on the final day of 2016. I suppose "receive" is a strong word--I only realized because I saw the two contributor copies my mom had thrown into the magazine basket. At any rate, 2016 has been a difficult year in many ways--President-Elect Trump (still feels wrong to type that), numerous celebrity deaths (I miss you every day, Bowie), deaths in the family (my grandmother and great-aunt died this year, within a week of each other). But many good things have happened to me this year as well, and it's important to remember them, to remember just how lucky I've been.

Therefore, in the spirit of one of my favorite songs from the 1954 classic White Christmas, I shall now recount some of the highlights of my 2016:
And that's just the big stuff! There were countless other joys, mostly because I have such amazing friends and family, for whom I am forever grateful. Thank you for being so good to me.

Let's keep the positive energy going! I'd love to hear about the high points of your 2016. Here's hoping 2017 is even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.