Saturday, August 6, 2016

A Change in the Weather

We've had some strange weather in Vegas this past week. Sky has been overcast. One day the high was below 100 degrees. One day it drizzled.

I don't know what it means, but it has been particularly good weather for writing and reading.

Not that I've been doing either of those things as much as I'd like. Mostly I've been packing--though I still haven't done the bulk of that, either. But I cleaned out my closet, my bedroom cabinets, my bathroom cabinets. Now it's just the big stuff. I really hope someone will buy my bed.

I've been helping lots of my friends move to different buildings, and it's funny, because even with all the boxes, it hasn't hit me that I am indeed moving. Today Kristian asked me when I was leaving, and I suddenly realized that I'm leaving a week from today.

I have a lot of work to do.

On Wednesday morning I had a surprise interview with a recruiting manager at potential-employer-in-Cleveland. I was just reclining in bed, reading a book, when he called and asked if I had a few minutes to talk. Glad it was just a phone interview and not Skype--I suspect my pajamas wouldn't have gone over well. I probably spoke too quickly, but overall I think it was a good conversation. Cross your fingers for me--I'd very much like to travel to Cleveland for a second interview.

In totally unrelated news, I've been listening to some wonderful new music lately, and I feel I ought to share it with you. The one and only time I saw Sufjan Stevens in concert was way back in 2010 at the Chicago Theater--it's amazing I've only seen him once, considering that I'm something of a Sufjan superfan. That night his opening act was DM Stith, a graphic-designer-turned-multinstrumentalist, and Stith's vaguely creepy folk album Heavy Ghost immediately captured my soul. (It's still my favorite album to listen to during thunderstorms.) He's worked on various side projects over the years, but he FINALLY put out another solo album at the end of July. It's called Pigeonheart, and it's wild. It's a little more electronic than the last album. You absolutely must hear it.

During the summer of 2013, pretty much the only album I could listen to was Chance the Rapper's Acid Rap. I remember listening to his song "Lost," which features a female rapper called Noname Gypsy, and thinking "why the hell doesn't she have an album?" I'd never heard a voice quite like hers. Well, now she does. She just goes by Noname now, and her album Telefone is everything. Listen on Soundcloud.

Hm, it appears that it's after 4 p.m. Shaun's birthday party/my going-away party is at 5 p.m., and I still haven't showered.

Sometimes I am not very good at being an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.