Friday, July 8, 2016

Hit me, baby, one more time.

This week has been a strange one. Lots of quiet with sudden bursts of activity.

Some good news: one of the editorial positions I applied for got back to me, and I did an edit test for them. It's certainly not a guarantee of anything, but hearing from a real person with a name was pretty exciting, considering this job hunt has been such a slog. Hopefully things will to continue to go well on that front. 

On Wednesday I walked over to campus to work on that edit test. Big desktop computer, quiet office space--it seemed like the ideal location. I had barely begun when I received a text message on my phone from UNLV's emergency alert system: ACTIVE SHOOTER! EMERGENCY! 

That's verbatim, by the way.

Of course, I thought. Of course I had to come to campus today. There weren't many of us in the English department, but we moved from our cubicles into the nearest offices and locked the doors. We knelt on the floor until we got the all-clear--which was only three minutes later. But they were a terrifying three minutes! 

At first I thought it must have been some 2nd amendment fanatic who decided to open-carry on campus as a form of protest--there are lots of those types in Nevada. But as it turns out, it was simply a case of someone hitting the wrong button on the emergency alert system. I know that people make mistakes, but causing everyone on campus to fear for their lives creates a bit more than an "inconvenience," as the school later said in their apology. Whoever it was should be very strongly reprimanded, at the very least. 

At the same time, it could have been so much worse. I'm glad everyone was safe.

The title of this post refers to my plans for tonight: LeeAnn and I are going to see BRITNEY SPEARS!!! All thanks to my amazing roommate, who managed to get us a huge discount. I am psyched to finally have my middle school dreams realized. There will be a full report on this blog sometime in the next week. In the meantime, let's all sing one of my favorite karaoke staples:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.