Saturday, July 23, 2016

Adventures in Babysitting

Finally back in Vegas after a week in Chicago. More than once my mom expressed concern that I might be bored, as I spent the majority of my time in the suburbs with my cousins Erin and Rembert, their twin boys Henry and Willem, and Matthijs, their youngest. But "bored" is not the correct word to describe what it's like being almost constantly surrounded by children under five. I had crying babies to hold and rambunctious boys to entertain, and I actually had a wonderful time.

The big events of the week were my cousins Caroline & Rich's triple birthday party for their three girls, Colleen (5), Anna (3), and Heidi (1), and the USA! party my aunt threw to congratulate Rembert on his becoming an American citizen, where my cousins Kevin & Kathryn and their almost-two-year-old son Oscar also made an appearance. But there were quieter moments. I got to introduce the twins to excellent movies that I hadn't seen in years, such as The Emperor's New Groove and Anastasia. (The final kiss in the latter got a big fat EWWWWWWW from the peanut gallery.) I heard back from one of the jobs to which I'd applied and completed a detailed--and fun--portfolio for them. (I think I slayed it. I hope they agree.) And I even managed to sneak down to the city one night and have burgers and sangria at Moody's with Ben, Felipe, and Molly. What's more, Meg came up to the suburbs, and she and I got pizza at Kaiser's (the best-ever pizza), along with her mom and brother and my dad. I'm still dreaming of all the delicious chopped garlic on our pie.

The upshot of all this is that, assuming I don't get the promising-job-for-which-I-completed-a-detailed-and-fun-portfolio (but I really hope I do), Erin and Rembert said I could move to Amsterdam with them and be their au pair for a few months while they settle back into their lives over there. At first I thought they were kidding, but now there seem to be serious plans to transform their large storage closet into a small bedroom. So who knows? Maybe I'll end up living in Europe. Spontaneity is the way to go, after all.

The other advantage of spending the past week in Chicago has been the cool weather--cool by comparison, at least. It's 115 degrees in Vegas right now. Time to hide in the air conditioning for the foreseeable future...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.