Saturday, November 7, 2015

Roller Coaster

I was doing so well, Internet. I was writing every day, I was full of energy, I was in all aspects on top of my game.

Then my body had to freak out. Horrible stomach pains, back pains, no appetite, exhaustion. And a whopping dose of anxiety on top of that--this is me we're talking about. I did manage to read some fiction at Neon Lit dressed as David Bowie in the middle of all this because I am a consummate badass. Nevertheless, it was not fun.

Fortunately(?), the gastroenterology appointment I had scheduled weeks and weeks ago was on Thursday, so he recommended I go on a low-FODMAP diet. This basically means that I have to cut out all potential allergy-inducing foods for a month and then add them back in one at a time to see which one might be bothering me. I have to ditch some of the foods you'd expect--dairy, gluten--but also some odd and, quite frankly, devastating foods, like avocado. (I miss you already, avocado!) For the past few days I've been surviving mostly on fresh fruits, raw veggies, and Cheerios. This is not the easiest thing to tackle when you hate cooking.

I can handle it, though. What's really getting to me is the exhaustion, which has not abated. It feels like I haven't been sleeping, even though I've been getting roughly 7-9 hours a night. I'm a little afraid to drive, honestly. I've been exercising, but probably not enough--I hardly want to get out of my bed. And it's hard to concentrate on anything, which is a big problem when you're supposed to be writing a novel and grading papers. Went to the Student Health Center on Friday and had blood drawn to test for a wide spectrum of things, so hopefully if it's something obvious they'll catch it.

Or maybe it's just a terrible reaction to Daylight Savings Time. Why do we even have that anymore? Nobody wants the sun to set this early.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.