Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Tut Tut

First: DA-DA-DA DA-DA-DA DA-DA-DA-DEE-DA-DEE-DA (This is my transcription of "Chelsea Dagger.") Considered staying up all night to watch the game updates on Twitter and Instagram; I thought better of it and went to sleep. But it was nice waking up to such good news. Yay Blackhawks! Here's the article about the victory from Le Monde, for good measure.

Back to the title of the post: it doesn't just look like rain. It's been raining all day. Rather gloomy. Nevertheless, I got out of the house. I actually walked to the post office and sent off postcards to those of you who gave me addresses. I told them "par avion" about sixteen times, but I'm not sure whether they listened to me, so if you get your postcards six months from now, it's not my fault. I tried.

Yesterday I met up again with some of the students from Toulouse--Mathieu, Muriel, Katharina, and Johan. We had a little picnic of sorts, and then we walked around the city and chatted. I've noticed that it's easier to speak French when I forget about the fact that I'm speaking it. If I think about each and every word, it's stressful, because I'm not a human dictionary. But if I just try to glean general meaning, it's usually okay. And when I'm talking, it's easier if I completely stop caring about conjugating verbs correctly. I probably sound like an idiot, but at least I can convey my ideas clearly that way.

I find myself saying certain words and phrases incredibly often--"en fait," "très," "beaucoup de," and so on. It makes me wonder whether I say those words--"actually," "very," "many"--just as often in English, and I don't notice simply because I'm used to it. It would be an interesting thing to track.

Anyway, they invited me to play Risk tomorrow. I have to win, right? Because America? Manifest destiny? Actually (there's one for the "actually" column), what I really need to do is remember the rules of Risk. It's probably been a decade since I last played.

It's at times like these that I'm glad the internet exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.