Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Tooth.

Warning: the following picture is not for the faint of heart. If you dislike blood and/or have a fear of dentistry, you may want to skip this post.


I got one of my wisdom teeth pulled this morning! I only had three to begin with, for I am highly evolved, much like the X-Men. I'm going to the UNLV Dental School, and they could only pull the slightly-emerged one today, as they need a certified oral surgeon available to supervise the removal of the other two. I was awake the whole time with just local anesthesia, and thankfully it went much more quickly than I expected. They think the tooth is purple because I took tetracycline as a teenager to treat acne, and tetracycline can stain teeth that haven't yet grown in.

They wouldn't let me keep my tooth. I considered swiping it while they were writing me a prescription, but I didn't have the guts.

Speaking of the prescription, this is my first time on prescription painkillers, and I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed. I don't feel loopy at all--just a little tired. Ultimately this is a good thing, as I have to give my students their final exam in a few hours. I suppose it wouldn't do if I stumbled in and shouted, "A's for everybody!"

I wish it would help with the pain a bit more, though. The medicine certainly takes the edge off, but my jaw still aches pretty badly. Sleeping tonight may not go well. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Ouch! Well, no one ever said that getting their wisdom tooth out was easy in any way, for the dentists as much as for the patients. At the very least, that’s one less wisdom tooth you have to worry about. Only two more to go! Are you planning on having those two removed in one go? Anyway, good luck with that!

    Benny Murray @ Dental Care Of South Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel very lucky whenever I read some of these wisdom teeth horror stories. I had no pain and was able to eat hard food the next day. At least you only needed to get one removed. Think about what it would have been like if you had to go through that three more times. At least your smile will be better in the long-run.

    Karen Perry @ Brookside Dental Care

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a crazy and interesting story! I am glad to hear the pulling went quickly, but it is a shame that they would not let you keep the tooth, nor could they pull the other two! And I guess it is good that you do not have loopy medicine for the exam, but I wish it was a better painkiller!

    ReplyDelete

Please say hi.