Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Epitome of Cool

That's what I'm trying to be during this, the final stretch of the semester. Too much of everything, not enough time for anything, but that's okay--I'm the real deal, the true champion. I am Peggy F***ing Olson.



Sunday's episode of Mad Men was downright glorious.

Leta visited me over the weekend! We mostly just hugged each other and high-fived and had escalating arguments about who loves the other one more. That's what best friends are for, right?

Today I went to the dentist for the first time since 2011. The good news: I've done a great job caring for my teeth! The bad news: excellent dental hygiene doesn't prevent wisdom teeth from being obnoxious. I have to get my bottom right one removed sooner rather than later, apparently. And of course, I don't have dental insurance! However, the UNLV Dental School will yank it out for a very reasonable price--assuming I'm okay with only local anesthesia. I'll be awake the whole time. Sounds like I'll have the source material for a gripping horror story in the not-too-distant future.

I'm working on my critical essay at the moment; it's technically the last academic paper I'll ever have to write, unless I decide to get a PhD someday. (I'm certainly not in the mood for a PhD anytime soon.) The critical essay component of the program is not tied to any class, which means I can write about whatever I damn well please. My subject: patriarchy and heteronormativity in The Marvelous Land of Oz. That's right. You think Glinda the good witch is a feminist? I think otherwise. You think the fact that Princess Ozma and the the boy Tip are one and the same supports gender fluidity? Think again.

I got to reference Pretty Pretty Princess in an academic paper. Grad school is the best.

And on that note, I should stop procrastinating and actually finish the essay. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.