Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Minnesota Bound

See how I did that? I said I'd post a longer entry later in the week, and I completely lied to you. I'm sorry, internet.

Basically Spring Break boils down to this: I felt sick most of the time, so I hardly got anything done. I couldn't get my tattoo because the artist needed more time to draw it. (Later this month, hopefully.) My computer died. I received three rejection letters. 

But hey, those rejection letters were the nice, personalized, "we almost published it" kind, so maybe one of these days someone will want to put a story of mine in print. One of these days...

Speaking of writing and books and such, tomorrow morning I'm off to the AWP Conference in Minneapolis! Perhaps you remember my trip to Seattle last year--same conference, different location. I look forward to the offsite readings, the impossibly large book fair, and KAREN RUSSELL!!! *squee*

If you have not read Karen Russell's novel Swamplandia!, you must do so immediately, even though it will make you sad. If you don't want to cry a lot, but you still want to read her work, try her short story collection St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves. I'm going to start her second collection Vampires in the Lemon Grove on the plane tomorrow. Her writing is magical.

That reminds me--over my otherwise unproductive Spring Break, I did cross off one thing on the most-Vegas-things-I-could-possibly-do list: Olivia, Austin, and I went to see David Copperfield. While I'm glad I had the experience, I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to recommend the illusionist for potential visitors. For one thing, David Copperfield himself is the textbook example of smarmy. Not only did he make fun of people's foreign accents, but he also used his own father's death as the basis for a bit--going so far as to film fake home videos of his parents. He did not win my sympathy this way. On a related note, he needs to hire better writers. The plot involving his father's death also involved an alien, and time travel, and it made no sense whatsoever. The man is worth billions of dollars--you'd think he could get someone to write a compelling story. The other problem is that the grander the tricks, the less impressed I was. When he came into the audience to do sleight of hand tricks, I enjoyed it because I couldn't figure out how he did it. Obviously, I don't know how he performed the larger illusions, either, but I wouldn't be surprised if a talented designer or engineer figured out a way to make a collapsable car that could expand very quickly at the press of a button. The more props there were, the less interested I became. 

That said, I loved spending time with Austin and Olivia, as always. But David Copperfield I could do without.

And on that note--packing! I'll try to write from Minnesota if I'm not too busy having fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.