Thursday, February 12, 2015

oh. mon. dieu. (omd?)

Big news, people.

Last night...I bought a plane ticket to France! (Goodbye, savings. You will be missed.)

Don't worry--I do get reimbursed, but only after I complete a harrowing amount of paperwork.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but for the MFA program we have to travel abroad, and we also have to do a translation. So I've decided on Toulouse. After all, how often do you get to abscond to France with someone else's money? I've never been to France, and I've always wanted to go--especially since it's still the language I can read best, even after studying Italian and Chinese.

My goal is to get in touch with the creative writing graduate program at Université Toulouse Jean Jaurès and see if a student might like to give me a piece to translate. Apparently it's quite rare to find creative writing programs in Europe, so I thought this would be a good opportunity. I'd even be willing to trade, if one of the students there would like to translate something into English as well. Hopefully it will work out. If not, I can always find something there, in a literary journal, maybe.

It's expensive to fly directly to Toulouse, so I'm flying into Paris first--where I can see ma chère  Catherine! She lives there now with her French boyfriend Arnaud because she obviously exists within a fairytale. It will be wonderful to catch up.

As you can probably imagine, I'm enormously excited. Now I just have to find somewhere to live in Toulouse. Catherine pointed me to several colocation sites--websites where people search for roommates or for someone to sublet--so I'm confident I'll find something. I still have to make itemized budgets and write cover letters and project proposals, but I shall do so with joy in my heart, because let's be honest--who could be unhappy about a summer in Europe?

And you know this blog is becoming Vive la Becky in June. Don't even worry about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.