Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Off to The Big Apple!

Time flies, n'est-ce pas? Last I checked, the Spring semester had only just begun, but now my 27th birthday has come and gone (I hosted a party and wore a dress dripping in sequins), and tomorrow I'm already flying to New York City to attend the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators Conference.

I've spent the day preparing--getting my hair cut, packing, trying and failing to think of an appropriate synonym for "blithe," printing 18 copies of the first 500 words of my novel for the Writers' Roundtable, buying a coat. (Can we tall take a moment to appreciate the fact that the Las Vegas Burlington Coat Factory has only two racks of women's coats?) Now I ought to be in bed--early flight--but I wanted to blog first.

I think this weekend is going to be extraordinary. Receiving feedback from professional editors and agents alone is amazing, but I get to attend panels, too? And a keynote by Newbery Medal winner Kwame Alexander, who was awarded the prize only a few days ago? (It's like they knew he'd come out on top....) How did I get so lucky?

Oh--I know how I got so lucky. It's because I have supportive friends who force me to apply for scholarships and who help me edit my work. And it's because I have a loving family who encourages me to pursue my passions.

I suppose I put a little effort into the whole writing thing, too.

But more importantly, you guys. Thanks, you guys! 

You know I'm getting tired when the exclamation points take over. Other things that have been on my mind:

Is it really a yoga class if the instructor doesn't demonstrate any of the positions for you, choosing instead to call out various long words which you assume are positions of some kind?

How might one go about writing a story chaotically?

Considering that I climbed a 5.10- route at the gym tonight (the hardest I have ever managed), does that make me a total badass? (Yes.)

That's all for now. More when I return from New York!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.