Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Big Week

As my title suggests, this is a big week for me.

Applications for most of our study abroad funding are due Monday the 23rd, so I have to finalize all that in the next few days. I have my plan of study written up, and an itemized budget, but I have to double check everything, fill in a separate budget form, collect letters of recommendation, and so on. I stopped in the Office of International Programs this morning to collect their budget form, and now I wish I'd stopped in there much earlier in the process. The secretary scheduled an appointment for me with an adviser tomorrow, who will help me go through the forms and make sure I've completed everything correctly. I'm confident I can complete it all on time, but I have to stay on my toes.

On Thursday the fiction writer Manuel Gonzales is coming to talk as part of the Emerging Writers Series. Since I helped pick him, I've been asked to introduce him before his reading. I wrote my introduction the other day, but I have to print it, and maybe read through it aloud a few times so I don't sound like a complete idiot. My friend Sarah is a goddess, and she's going to sub my classes on Thursday so I can attend lunch with him and his craft talk. It would be a bit weird to introduce him without ever having spoken to him, don't you think? I'd highly recommend his book, The Miniature Wife and Other Stories.

Let's be honest: this is a big month for me. I'm also reading at Neon Lit on the 27th. What am I reading? I have no idea. Novel excerpt? Flash fiction? Maybe I'll bring both and let the audience choose. I'm excited because it's our first reading at The Writer's Block, Las Vegas' newest-and-hippest bookstore. I think it will be fun.

I'm sure I'll find time to write in all of this. You know, because I have a time-turner like Hermione. (I wish.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.