Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A Call for Sentences

You may remember that I'm in Dr. Campbell's Chaos Theory Literature class this semester. It's the last literature class I'll have to take during my time in the MFA program, and it's certainly a far cry from Doug's one-600-page-novel-per-week fiction forms class last semester. We're only reading five books, and the authors range from Douglas Adams to Haruki Murakami. I imagine the light course load is probably because it's a mixed graduate/undergraduate course. It's a lot bigger than most of my classes have been in grad school (though still not that big), and it's full of young, cynical white men who think their opinions are the most important opinions of all the opinions and therefore like to talk over everyone else.

But that's beside the point.

The point is, we (happily) don't have to write a term paper for this course. However, we do have to complete a creative project. That's where you come in.

I'm going to attempt to write three flash fiction pieces in a chaotic manner. To accomplish this, I need to recruit 60 of you to write sentences for me. Writers and non-writers, people of all ages, races, genders--I'd like a diverse sample of the population, if possible. I don't want to give the whole thing away, but it will essentially work like this: at some point in the next several weeks, you will receive an email from me with a partial story. I will need you to write the next sentence, then email it back to me. Once the whole project is over, I will gladly send the final stories out to everyone who participated.

If this sounds like something you'd like to do, please get in touch with me: beckyr003 (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks!

***

Other things that are happening in my life:

Last week I won tickets to the RuPaul's Drag Race Season 7 Premiere Party at The Paris, simply by retweeting something from their official account. My social media obsession pays off sometimes. So Joe and I went to that on Friday. They showed the first episode of the season, and then all the new queens performed. I'm officially #TeamMax, and then probably #TeamVioletChachki, though it's a little hard to tell having only seen one episode and one performance. It's possible my allegiances will change in the future.

I climbed a 5.10 route at the gym today because I'm awesome.

Today I also went to the Pinball Hall of Fame for the first time with new friend Dave. Did you know that pinball games have plots? I mean, I was obviously aware that they had themes, but I did not know that there was a story to what you were supposed to be doing with the ball. For instance, you might be storming a castle, or fighting an alien invasion, and you can tell whether or not you're successful via various lights on the board. Sometimes the machine noises give you information, too, but I've never listened to them before. I always just assumed they were there to distract you and make the whole thing more difficult. Anyway, I guess you learn something new every day. Lunch + pinball might have to become a regular activity.

I'm reading at Neon Lit on Friday. I think I've settled on reading flash fiction rather than a novel excerpt. I'd rather not bother with explaining the context. And this weekend Katie and Seth are coming from L.A. because Monica is flying in from Chicago! High school reunion time.

Okay. I have to write before all that happens. Bon soir, dear readers.

1 comment:

  1. Count me in for the story project (you know my email)

    ReplyDelete

Please say hi.