Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Getting into the Swing of Things

Does your body ever do that thing where all your muscles seize up painfully and stay that way for over a week? Probably not. This isn't the first time it's happened, and I'm fairly certain it's anxiety-related. I have no idea what triggers it, but honestly, I'd prefer to learn what causes its eventual abatement. Then I could get rid of it faster. I've been trying to stretch. I went to yoga class yesterday for about the third time in my life. And for the first time, I actually enjoyed it. Mainly I liked the instructor; she seemed kind and helpful. I still didn't feel graceful or one with myself or whatever, but that should theoretically change at some point? Right? I think I'm going to keep going, if only because the UNLV exercise class schedule clashes almost entirely with mine this semester. Yoga's pretty much the only class when I'm free. Besides boxing and bootcamp and spin, all of which sound intensely unappealing. Zumba has been relegated to the 9-10 p.m. slot, and the only instructor who teaches it is the terrible male one who can't count and has poor taste in music, so I'm not doing that.

Okay--change of subject. Although I do write my blog for myself and to work out my feelings sometimes, I don't want it to become "Becky complains about her anxiety 24/7." What else has been going on?

Dungeons & Dragons has started once again. I kicked off the semester by killing a blood spider cluster (gross) and healing lots of people. Where would they be without me? Or, rather, without Penny.

Because last Monday was a holiday, I had my first Chaos Theory Lit class the other night. I'm looking forward to it. There are several small assignments, which might be irritating on a certain level, but there aren't any broad, time-consuming assignments, either. Plus, we get to read Douglas Adams. Amazing. Right now we're reading this sci-fi novel by Connie Willis called Bellwether, about a female scientist who studies fads. It's funny, if a little repetitive. (A lot repetitive, to be honest, but there may be a reason for that.) At any rate, considering that it's my only real class this semester, and my last literature class during the program, I think I picked a good one.

Getting into the swing of things has been somewhat difficult so far, simply because I have so much unstructured time, thanks to thesis hours and my independent critical essay. I'm largely staying on task thanks to Carrot, but every time I cross something off the list, another thing pops up, and I have no idea when to do it. I really have to figure out all my study abroad stuff, for instance, but it seems like I have too many immediate concerns, like reading for class and writing a response for class and presenting in class on Monday (I wanted to get it over with) and reading The Marvelous Land of Oz for my critical essay and writing my novel every day and practicing French every day and reading for Witness every day and--well, you get the idea. When am I supposed to squeeze in study abroad applications in all that? Not to mention a trip to the grocery store?

Ack! This became about anxiety again. Sorry.

Here's something I am legitimately excited about, that is causing me no anxiety whatsoever: I read the first volume of Saga, and it was wonderful. I haven't been that engrossed in a story in quite some time. I want to read the rest. You know. In my spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.