Monday, August 11, 2014

Vegasversary

This has to be short since it's too late at night, but I just wanted to mention:

TODAY IS MY FIRST VEGASVERSARY.

That's right, my friends. One year ago, on August 11th, 2013, I moved into my apartment in Las Vegas, Nevada to start my MFA program at UNLV. This blog began shortly thereafter.

It's been an incredible year, to say the least. As tends to happen with major life changes, I've learned many important things about myself, including but not limited to:
  • Up is a direction a person can walk, but it is a direction that reminds me I could be in better shape.
  • I have emotions. Obviously, I was already aware of this to a certain extent, but in Chicago I was so grounded and had such a strong social circle that I never knew what it was like to be truly lonely and to experience some of the lowest lows. Now I know that I can survive those moments, and what's more, I've forged many new friendships, so those moments don't come as often anyway.
  • I'm a better penpal than I thought I'd be, but I'm still not the best penpal.
  • I don't particularly miss snow and below-freezing temperatures.
  • I don't particularly miss working in an office.
  • Poetry isn't as scary as I thought.
  • I'm a big fan of neon.
  • Karaoke is deeply important to my wellbeing.
  • Committing to being a fiction writer is horrifying.
  • Committing to being a fiction writer is one of the best decisions I've ever made.
I wish I could be in Vegas for my anniversary, but I'll be there soon enough: one week from today I drive back. Los Angeles has its merits, certainly, but I can honestly say that I find Las Vegas to be far superior. I suspect it has a great deal to do with my friends, who I can't wait to see.


p.s. GISHWHES is officially over; thanks to everyone who helped out Team Neon Studmuffins! If you want to see some of our crazy-awesome completed challenges, here's a link to a photo album

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.