Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Back to Work

I've been so busy getting re-settled in Las Vegas that I haven't had time to blog. But, as the return to the original blog header suggests, I am indeed back in my desert home.

There have been many joyful reunions--and what's more, the lovely Mickey came to visit this past weekend! Friday evening we saw Against Me! at the Brooklyn Bowl, and it made me sad to realize I'll never be as cool as Laura Jane Grace, but I feel that way about many people, so I'm sure I'll survive. It was a great show. Let's see, what else did we do? Went out downtown for Lulu's birthday, went "hiking" at Red Rock, saw the Doctor Who season premiere in theaters (easily the best thing Moffat has written in years). Today an airplane whisked her away to Chicago, and I was left to buckle down on my work for this semester.

I'm anticipating a busy semester. Yesterday I taught my two classes--both 102, thank goodness. I can re-use all my course materials from last semester. My teaching schedule is actually quite pleasant; Mondays and Wednesdays I teach from 11:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m. and from 2:30 p.m.-3:45 p.m., so I have a break in between for lunch and work. Plus, I don't have to wake up early. Ideal for me, since I tend to find sunlight horrific before 9 a.m. at the very earliest.

This evening I had my first fiction workshop of the term with Maile. Obviously, nobody workshopped a story today, but we chose when we would be workshopping throughout the semester, and so on. There are several poets doing their cross-genre work in this class, so I'm looking forward to that. If you workshop only with other fiction writers, you don't learn as much as you do if you also workshop with writers from other genres. A poet or a playwright might say something very different about a fiction piece than another fiction writer would, and I value the variety in feedback. That's why I liked Drivel & Wit so much back in Chicago. I really must start an informal workshop like that here. I keep meaning to. I'm fantastic at meaning to do things.

Tomorrow after teaching I have Fiction Forms with Doug Unger. We're reading a novel a week! I'll manage somehow. I always do. I'm excited to work with Doug. He's the only fiction professor I haven't yet had a class with, and many of the fiction writers who came before me act like he's some sort of god. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Thursday I have Shakespeare class. After the chaos that was last semester, I wanted to have a slightly less daunting schedule. I've read much of Shakespeare's work before, and the class requires only one 9-page paper, so I can hopefully focus more on my writing.

Speaking of writing, I should do that now. Not that blogging isn't writing, but you know what I mean. The fictional kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.