Monday, June 2, 2014

Los Angeles, I'm Yours

I've been terrible at blogging lately, and now I'm going to Los Angeles tomorrow! How did that happen? Everything has been so peaceful here in Vegas that the big move snuck up on me. I start my internship at Les Figues a week from today, however, so I must be off. I need time to settle in, adjust to the smog, come to terms with the fact that I'll be living in the city that ruined the Blackhawks' Stanley Cup hopes--all that normal big-move stuff. As you may have guessed, the title for this entry is, once again, a song, this time by The Decemberists. Have a listen.

I'm excited for summer adventures in the big city, but everything has been so idyllic here in Vegas recently that I'm somewhat reluctant to go. Well, the weather has been a little hot for my taste. Other than that, though, I've been having a lovely time. I have been working, of course. I'm currently writing a story that takes place in Beijing, which I've always wanted to do. It's hard to balance the storytelling and the accuracy without making it sound like a tacky travel narrative sometimes, but that's why we edit. It's interesting how my writing process has changed over the years in that regard. I used to be a sentence-level perfectionist, not moving on to the next word until the perfect word had been chosen. The backspace key was my best friend. Needless to say, it took me forever to write anything. That all changed when I started writing flash fiction on the CTA; I had to finish the story before I got off the train and that was that. I forced myself to edit later, and I think my writing improved because of it. I could at least finish stories for once.

At any rate, I have been working, but on a schedule of my own devising. Life has been sweet. Lots of relaxation. I started watching True Detective. I went antiquing/vintage shopping with Joe. I've been exercising regularly and sleeping in.

Actually, LA will probably bring much of the same. My internship is only two days a week, so I can organize the rest of the week however I want. It may be slightly lonelier. Sure, I'll have Kenzie, Alex, and Katie, but they all have full-time jobs, so I imagine I'll have plenty of time to myself. Who knows? Maybe I'll make friends. I think I'm bolder now than I used to be. Moving over a thousand miles away from one's close-knit social circle will do that to a person.

And I know that LA will be distracting as well. I love traveling, learning about new places. I had a great time there when I visited last October, so a big part of me can't wait to take the city by storm. Still, I've grown rather fond of Vegas and my friends here over the past many months. I think I will miss it/them.

So I've got to say goodbye for the summer, Las Vegas. Let me dedicate one of my favorite oldies songs to you--"Sealed with a Kiss" by Brian Hyland. Just replace "September" with "August" and "in a letter" with "via copious social media posting."

(Seriously, if you didn't click the link--do it. You have to see the world's slowest gogo dancers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.