Friday, June 20, 2014

Living with a Wolf

What do you do when the sweet, fluffy dog you're taking care of turns out to be a wild animal? The other day I found a dead bird on the front porch that she'd slaughtered. Today it's a squirrel in the backyard. It seems like I should scold her, but it's a bit late for that. I feel kind of like Betty Draper on the episode of Mad Men where her dog eats one of her neighbor's pigeons, and then later she takes a gun and starts shooting at the rest of them. Except that I don't have a gun, nor do I have any desire to shoot animals. It's more the dog-eating-other-animals thing.


I did end up getting my cartilage pierced. They had a Tuesday piercing deal, which was awesome. I forgot that piercings are the opposite of tattoos in that they hurt more after you get them than they do during the actual process. It's fine now, but Tuesday night/Wednesday morning I was in some pain, especially because the hairstylist I went to snagged her comb in them despite multiple warnings from me. Oh well.

Nightswim was an experience, to say the least. It's strange to go to a party where you continuously introduce yourself like this: "Hi! I'm Becky. I think we're friends on the internet." Nevertheless, it was fun. The Crushee community in L.A. seems rad overall. I did feel a tad out of place--this party was what I imagine a stereotypical "L.A. party" must be, or what it would be in a movie. It was at the pool at The Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood, and a basic cocktail was $12, and everyone was ultra-trendy and attractive. I did not feel quite ultra-trendy and attractive enough, even though I was wearing my most ultra-trendy and attractive dress. I'm afraid my midwesternness was showing.

I'm exaggerating, of course. I had a great time. Talked to lots of nice and interesting people. It seems to be a generally artistic community, lots of punk aesthetic, etc. I probably fit in more than I realize. I'm planning on going again this Tuesday.

I'm writing this story, and it's already 10 pages long. I'm proud of myself, since it's difficult for me to write anything that's not flash fiction, but I don't know how it's going to end, and that scares me. Maybe it's a good thing, though; if I don't know how it's going to end, certainly an audience won't, which means that it won't be cliche? Hopefully?

Tonight: video game burlesque with Katie. I haven't been to a burlesque show in ages, so I can't wait. Nerds! Boobs! A surefire recipe for an enjoyable evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.