Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Happy Belated Bloomsday

Have I mentioned that I'm reading James Joyce's Ulysses? That this is my idea of fun? I don't think it's as hard to read as everyone makes it out to be, at least not so far. There are loads of academic websites with annotations to the text, so the most obscure references are easily explained. It probably helps that I took that Irish Lit class during my undergrad. My main concern is that right now I've been splitting each chapter over two days, which is fine. But the chapters must get longer, right? Considering how long the book is and how few chapters there are? I guess we'll see. Anyway, yesterday was Bloomsday, the celebration of the day on which Leopold Bloom begins his journey through Dublin, so I saved Chapter 4--the chapter in which we leave Stephen Dedalus and Bloom is actually introduced--for last night. I've been reading it before bed. I know, I'm totally the most interesting person on the planet.

On an entirely different note, do you think that if I got a piercing as research for a story I could write it off in my taxes? Just kidding. I am writing a story that involves a piercing, though, and I've been wanting to get my cartilage pierced for a while. My main deterrent has been that piercings are such a pain to care for, compared to tattoos at least. But I've been buying all these ear cuffs because I like having some jewelry up there, even though ear cuffs kind of hurt. You have to pinch them so they stay on right, at least on my ears. Seems to make more sense to just get them pierced, n'est-ce pas?

This is what happens when I'm left alone for too long: I get bored and plan body modifications. If my social life doesn't pick up soon I'll come back to Vegas unrecognizable!

I did go to Katie's the other night to watch the Game of Thrones finale. I can't believe they didn't do the one thing we book-readers all thought they'd do! Next season, hopefully. Katie and I decided that one day, after I have become a famous author, she and I will create and release an annotated version of the A Song of Ice and Fire series, in which we use color coded notes to indicate major changes in the television series, slight changes in the television series, changes in the television series that are good, and changes in the television series that are stupid. Because we are clearly the arbiters of good taste when it comes to Game of Thrones.

Katie said something to me the other day that I can't stop thinking about. She invited me to see a play based on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and I told her that I'd definitely go if she couldn't find a more hardcore MLP fan to go with her, since I don't actually watch it. And she responded: "I just know you really like subcultures."

I guess I do really like subcultures, although I never thought about it that way before. I've always considered myself to be a lover of people, and that means I'm a lover of diversity. I'm a lover of surprises, and humans never fail to surprise. I suppose I do tend to find myself among subcultures of one kind or another--punk, D&D, various fandoms, sexual/gender subcultures (I don't consider homosexuality or trans*/queerness to be a subculture, just to clarify. Those are identities, parts of one's self. There is much debate over whether things like polyamory and BDSM should be considered sexual orientations/identities as opposed to subcultures, and when it comes to that, I tend to err on the side of: if an individual considers it part of his/her/zir identity, then I do, too), and so on--but so many people I know are involved in one or more of these subcultures that I don't think of them as particularly odd. On the other hand, I might be living in a bubble world; it is possible that I participate in/surround myself with so many people who participate in these subcultures that I don't realize how outside of the norm it is. I guess it's normal for me, either way.

Food for thought.

Tonight Katie and I are going to Nightswim, so I get to meet some of my Crushees in person! Excited about that. New friends! More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.