Saturday, June 14, 2014

Baby, You Can Drive My Car

Seriously, that would be preferable at this point. I've been spending far more time than I would like behind the wheel. Yesterday, on my way back from the climbing gym, I got stuck in not one, but two stand-still traffic jams, one on an interstate and one on a major road. This was at noon. Beep-beep, yeah.

Kenzie and Alex are on a two-week trip to Europe, so Penny-the-dog and I have the house to ourselves. It's quiet. They're such adults, with their house and their garden. I feel like I can't write any more of my domestic abject poems here because there's nothing gross in their home. So clean! So well-cared-for! A paradigm of young American domesticity. And they've left it all in my hands--me, the queen of "how does a stove work again?" and "what's the point of making my bed when I'm just going to sleep in it again tonight?" and "can I Google how to sew on a button?" I'm exaggerating. Kind of. Ugh, I really hope I don't accidentally kill the garden.

I am, of course, making an effort to get out of the house and explore LA/meet people. The other night I had sushi for dinner with Katie, and we may have purchased pints of ice cream and watched a movie afterwards. Because we're definitely adults with goals and things. At her urging, I joined a social networking site called Crushee. The idea is that it's sort of an online house party; once the community approves your profile, you can interact with anyone. If someone seems cool, you can "crush" on them, and then if they "crush" you back, you will have a mutual crush and you can privately message each other if you want. The people on the site also organize events in various locales so Crushee members can meet in person. One of the site founders lives in LA, so every Tuesday there's an event called Nightswim at a rooftop pool in Hollywood. Katie says it's fun, so I think we're going this week. Rumor has it that Kit Harrington was in attendance last time, although Katie didn't actually see him, but I mean it's my duty as a Game of Thrones fan to locate and seduce Jon Snow, right? Isn't that how this works? Anyway, Crushee is a total time-suck, but it's fun. Overall the community seems nice.

Last night I decided I had to go out and do something because it was Friday and I'm young, or whatever. Fortunately, I discovered that Electric Six was playing The Roxy. Though I've done it before, it's still a bit weird to go to concerts alone. Nevertheless, I figured that maybe I'd end up talking to people, and if not, at least I'd still get to hear some good bands. And I did talk to people! I met a nice couple, a man who works in IT and his girlfriend who's an economics grad student, and their friend from San Francisco. Then, of course, I did not exchange numbers with them, so now I will probably never see them again. I'm too shy. Also, I didn't want to impose. We talked a little after the show, and then we said goodbye, but I didn't want to come off as a desperate creep or anything. "Hey I have no friends WANNA BE FRIENDS?!?! HERE'S MY NUMBER! CALL ME MAYBE!" Ick. Making friends is an awkward situation all-around when you don't have a mutual friend to introduce you, or an MFA program where you're together every day and you all have the same interests. I'll keep working on it.

On the bright side, the show was great. This local band, Irontom, opened first. They seemed quite young; they were probably at least 21, but they looked like they could play high schoolers in a 90's teen comedy. They made hilarious facial expressions, and their music was dancey and fun. They did a killer cover of "Feel Good Inc." by Gorillaz. Next was Yip Deceiver: basically two men, the occasional instrument, and a synthesizer. I think one or both of them are actually members of Of Montreal. I liked them, too. Finally, Electric Six, who were just as ridiculous as I expected. If you have never watched the videos for "Danger! High Voltage!" or "Gay Bar," you're doing life wrong. Please remedy this now. Dick Valentine has the stage presence of a drunk lounge singer who no longer gives a fuck, although his voice, loud and raspy, suggests otherwise. Their drummer is fantastic. For the encore, Electric Six and Yip Deceiver joined forces for a danceable cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Everywhere." I certainly enjoyed myself, and I think the rest of the audience would say the same.

Probably going to take it easy today. Write. Work out. Maybe make some lemonade--I have a ton of ripe lemons from Kenzie and Alex's lemon tree. Like, an absurd amount. I don't know what else to do with them. Can I Google how to make lemonade?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.