Sunday, April 13, 2014

Summer in Spring

Can I just state that purchasing patio furniture may be the best decision I've made since moving to Vegas? The weather is gorgeous (almost too hot some days, but after years of lingering Illinois cold I'm okay with that), and my schoolwork doesn't seem nearly as stressful when I'm doing it outside on my porch.

And I have plenty to be stressed about. I'm having a hard time with this term paper for Dr. Becker's theory class. Every time I think I know what I'm talking about, I bring it to her and she says, "have you considered x, y, and z?" No. Of course I haven't. Since I'm working with Kristeva's theory of abjection (which, for those of you who don't know, is a psychoanalytic theory), I think she's afraid that I'll try to psychoanalyze the characters, the author, or the reader, which I have no intention of doing. As per Peter Brooks' essay "The Idea of a Psychoanalytic Literary Criticism," I want to explore how abjection is reflected in the structure of the text itself. Then the other day she said, "be careful--you don't want to have a paper where you simply cite Kristeva and then cite examples from the text." And I'm like OK, WHAT EXACTLY IS A PAPER THEN? I thought that's basically what they were. Obviously, you don't want to take a plodding, unsophisticated approach--a paper should mainly consist of your own analysis. But I don't see how one can write a literary criticism without...examples? From literature? I'm a smart kid, but I know I'm not smart enough to write my own entirely new theoretical concept. Or maybe I am, but I certainly don't have the time or the inclination to do that in a 20-page paper due in a few weeks. I just have no idea what she wants. I'll probably just end up writing something, and it probably won't be what she wants, and that will be fine because at least it will be finished.

Rant complete. Sorry about that.

Last night several of us went for drinks at Velveteen Rabbit. The weather was perfect and there was a live 2-person blues/folk band from Nashville called Smooth Hound Smith. I have rarely felt so utterly content.

And now I must be content to get some work done before another D&D adventure. I think we have to kill another 14 people today. Or something like that. Hopefully that will work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.