Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Strangest Thing

The strangest thing just happened when I was reading Witness submissions. I haven't mentioned it on here for a while, but you may remember that I read fiction, poetry, and nonfiction submissions for Witness magazine and give them an initial thumbs-up or thumbs-down before passing them on to the editors.

I was reading some stories this morning, and I came across a nonfiction piece that was written by someone who runs a press that recently rejected my collection of Pretending to Know You stories. No matter how many times it happens, it's always painful to have your work rejected. I was afraid to read this piece--I didn't want my judgment to be clouded by this person's dismissal of my writing. However, I ended up giving it a thumbs-up. It was quite good.

Or was it? Now I'm afraid that I subconsciously gave it a thumbs-up in a sort of taunting, See? I'm BETTER than you! way. I'm hoping that's not the case. I think it was good. I enjoyed reading it.

I suspect I've been reading too much Freud.

In other news, Leta wrote some beautiful poetry for her most recent All Together Now post. You should read it.

And now for some of my own poetry, as I'm still catching up. (My brain works in mysterious ways.)

Tribe

in your tribe
am I
am I in
your tribe I
in I
your tribe in
I
your am
in tribe
I tribe your
am

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.