Monday, January 13, 2014

Too Much Relaxation?

Can I just state that one of my favorite things about my triumphant return to academic life is having a break this long? I think it's especially useful for creative writers, since it gives us so much time to generate new content. But I wish that everyone could take a slightly-more-than-month-long break a few times a year, no matter their line of work. I don't think my 9-to-5 would have been quite so onerous and, quite frankly, soul-crushing if there had been lengthy vacations to look forward to. And I had a pretty cushy 9-to-5! I was one of the lucky ones! Of course, we might be in trouble if doctors and firefighters and such all took breaks at the same time for so long. Couldn't they stagger it, though?

Hm. My capitalist-to-a-fault parents probably aren't going to like the above paragraph. Hi Mom & Dad!

I have to say, though, that after all this rest and relaxation, I'm looking forward to the semester starting up again. There's something to be said for a regular schedule. (See--long breaks might make people want to do their soul-crushing jobs!) I know, I know. Pull out the thousands of tiny violins to dolefully accompany my terrible plight. I assure you, I am 118% grateful for and am thoroughly enjoying the free time while I still have it.

I've noticed that I've developed a habit over the past year or so: when I wake up in the morning, I spend at least a half hour, but usually more, reading articles on the internet. The subject matter runs the gamut: politics, feminism, advice columns, entertainment, fashion, history, philosophy--I read it all. But I can't figure out why I started doing it. Maybe it's because I finally got an iPhone so all my apps work well. This whole thing usually starts with me scrolling through my Twitter feed. Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting observation.

Last night I picked Michael up from the airport, and later he, Austin, and I went to Stake Out to catch up. We tried to go to the Frog, but it was hip hop night? Which is apparently a thing there now? So we talked and drank PBRs and had a generally good time. Then Austin and I watched the final episode of Sherlock season 3 and all I can say is WOW it is good. I won't say anything about it since I know it hasn't aired in the U.S. yet. I honestly think Sherlock is better for Moffat than Doctor Who is. The character of Sherlock Holmes lends itself more to the ridiculously dramatic reveals of which Moffat is so fond.

Now I think I'll grab some late lunch and read and write and have a generally pleasant day. But first, here is today's poem (a tritina again--I had fun with that last time):

A Night Out

Have you ever been the only
one in a crowded bar? No
concentric circles, no venn diagrams, just

barely-brushing diameters. It's not just
that liquor thickens your tongue. That's only
part of what keeps you awkward. No

designated driver duties tonight, no
reason to stay sober, since socializing just
isn't your thing, apparently. It's only

one night, only every night, no need to wonder if it's just

2 comments:

  1. A gentle reminder: I know how much you came to hate your old job, but the very fact that you had a job AT ALL (one with benefits, flexible hours and regular pay increases) means that, from 2010-2013, you were very, very lucky indeed. Calling your job soul-crushing strikes me as beyond hyperbolic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I'm being hyperbolic. I'm a writer, n'est-ce pas? Anyway, that's why I said "I was one of the lucky ones!," but perhaps I should have elaborated more. There were days, though, when I did get really, truly, frighteningly angry at my job, even though I was so much better off than most people. One time, when I was working from home in the suburbs, I threw a book across the room in frustration and started crying. I'm not even kidding.

      Delete

Please say hi.