Friday, December 13, 2013

Why Grade When You Could Blog?

A question for the ages.

It's been too long! I've been kept pretty busy this week by several end-of-the-semester shenanigans, which I will now describe for your enjoyment.

Marianne's Typhoon Haiyan fundraiser went spectacularly well. There were even people there who had nothing to do with UNLV or our MFA program. Crazy, I know. In the end we raised over $1,600.
Sunday I played Dungeons and Dragons for seven hours. Yes, you read that correctly. Seven. Hours.

Wait. I haven't mentioned that I'm playing D&D on this blog yet, have I? Well, I am. My character's name is Penumbra Dreadful, aka Penny. She's a cheerful goth chick who worships the Raven Queen, goddess of death, and it is her sad mission to stay alive as long as possible so she can spread the good news about death throughout the land. (Human cleric, for those of you in the know.) I play with Austin and Shaun and Josh, and Jamison and JD just joined our party. Yeah, that's right. Our bartender plays D&D with us. 

I can hear you groaning. You all should have seen this coming.

Anyway, the only reason we played for seven hours that day is that these assholes came into the Frog without a reservation and demanded that JD lead a whiskey tasting for them. So we took a two hour break, but we stayed in the bar. A bar is generally a good place to take a break.

Monday was my last fiction workshop of the semester. (I guess it wasn't all shenanigans keeping me busy.) We talked about Amy and Brock's pieces, and Richard gave a nice speech. On a serious note, I am so glad that my first fiction workshop ever was filled with such wonderful people. Everyone was respectful and insightful and tremendously helpful. I feel like I'm already a better writer because of it. It's going to be strange having only poetry classes next semester, but hopefully I'll have some time to generate more fiction content for future workshops.

I thought we'd go out after workshop, but nobody seemed in the mood, so I met up with Aurora, Olivia, Derek, and Austin for fancy ramen. Then we went to the Frog, because when don't we?

Tuesday was a fun day as well. After grading at Sunrise Coffee--yes, Chicago, Vegas has local coffee shops, too--Olivia and I felt in the holiday spirit, so we watched White Christmas while drinking wine. Lots of wine. I don't think I need any wine for a while now. We also demolished half of a tin of popcorn because we are simply that classy.

Wednesday evening Colby had a few people over to his place. I met a lot of people who either used to be in the program or are PhDs whom I have not yet met, so that was nice. We were going to watch Anchorman, but we somehow ended up watching The Saddest Music in the World, which is fantastic if you're in the mood for a deep and existential yet zany comedy.

I promise that I was doing lots of work in between all this, by the way. I'm a responsible human being. Kind of.

Thursday we workshopped my gothic story, and people liked it so much more than I thought they would! Or at least, they were reading the things into it that I wanted them to read. I was pleased to creep people out. I'll have to keep working on that one, polish it up, submit it somewhere. One day...

Last night was Olivia and Joe's "Cat and Dog Soiree." Originally we were all supposed to read Chekhov's "The Lady with the Little Dog" and Hemingway's "Cat in the Rain" and discuss them. However, it turned into a raucous holiday party with delicious food and an epic Les Miserables singalong and a contentious game of Celebrity. Impromptu Christmas caroling, too. We didn't discuss the stories for one moment. Poor Joe. His neighbors must hate him.

Today I felt like a badass because I changed the tire on my car. I still have no idea how I got a flat in the first place, but it's okay because I'm a strong, independent woman who can do things like change a tire on a car. I mean, I had to Google it, but still. There are a few others to whom I also owe my success: Lulu, who helped me get the spare out of the trunk, and my adorable elderly next-door neighbor lady, who brought me a flashlight, a hammer, and a far superior lug wrench, simply out of the goodness of her heart. I'll have to bake her some cookies. I have a blister now, but at least I also have a car that I can drive.

Tonight: bingo! You didn't honestly think I'd be spending my Friday night in, did you? Actually, a night in would be nice, one of these days. However, I don't have many evenings left in Vegas before I head back to Chicago for the holidays, so I'm determined to make the most of them.

4 comments:

  1. You're not being irresponsible. You're just upholding the duties of being the True Champion.

    Also, I miss you and I can't wait to visit you again and share in your shenanigans. And also I want to play some D&D with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should play D&D with us. Can't wait until you visit again!

      Delete
  2. ALL HAIL THE RAVEN QUEEN.

    And grats on the tire changing. Seriously awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Please say hi.