Saturday, December 7, 2013

How is it December already?

Sorry that I haven't written in a while. I had to concentrate on getting everything done during the last week of the semester. How did that happen? It feels like I just got here.

Thanksgiving was great, if a bit hectic. Having so many babies in the house was simultaneously adorable and insane. Astoundingly cute birth control. I'm just kidding; it was wonderful to see all my cousins and aunts and uncles and to eat ridiculous amounts of food and to have a bonfire and to cuddle my dogs, and even to go outside in freezing cold weather, just for a little bit.

I taught my final class this week. I decided to tell them that it was my first time teaching, and to thank them for not stalking/killing/screaming at me, as orientation had implied that they would. I was pleased to discover that most of them were surprised regarding my inexperience. I think I'm going to miss those crazy kids.

We're finally reading our own gothic stories in class. Mine hasn't gone up yet--that will happen Thursday--but the ones I've read so far are mostly phenomenal. I'm a little worried about mine. As it stands, I think I accidentally wrote a horror story with gothic elements, as opposed to an actual gothic story. But it's a fine line. I guess we'll see what people have to say about it.

Last night was way too much fun. A few of us proposed a trip to Atomic Liquors, and tons of people showed up! So it was a big MFA end-of-the-semester party. Olivia proposed a lovely toast, I drank some delicious whiskey, and aside from the part where I cleverly tripped over a stool and fell down because I am just that graceful, I had a fantastic evening.

Tonight there's more fun in store; Marianne organized a fundraiser for victims of Typhoon Haiyan, so several of us will be reading at the open mic, and there will be lots of prizes up for silent auction. Now to see if I can actually get some work done before that happens. There is nothing more difficult that convincing oneself to grade student papers.

You guys: have I mentioned that I'm glad I moved to Las Vegas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.