Sunday, November 17, 2013

Return to the Pioneer Saloon, and other adventures

Phone blogging from Einstein Brother's between writing center shifts because I don't buy or cook meat not because I'm a vegetarian but because I'm lazy but sometimes I just want a goddamn turkey sandwich, okay? Don't judge me.

Run-on sentences are fun.

Anyway, as the title of this post suggests, we made our triumphant return to the Pioneer Saloon on Friday night. You remember the Pioneer Saloon--it's that 100-year-old cowboy bar in the middle of nowhere. And once again, it was utter madness, in the best possible way.

Jamison rented a grill and cooked us all burgers and brats. Lulu sang Whitney Houston and made a local cry. Joe sang my favorite Lou Reed song ("Perfect Day," for the record). Austin did a truly stunning rendition of Electric Six's "Danger! High Voltage," and we are all now his karaoke groupies. Colby discovered his calling as an inspirational dancer. Flynn, the grizzled old biker dude from last time, rocked "War Pigs." Monica, the bartender, offered us all shots of whiskey on the house--assuming we'd let her pour them directly down our throats from the bottle. As a designated driver, I did not partake. However, I did discover that I can sing Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" pretty damn well. 

We shut the place down. It was magical.

Last evening was Good Hair Fiction Club at Jean's. It should really be called Good Hair Fiction and Eating Club because there was tons of delicious food. Jean made chili, Brittany baked cookies, and Joe brought cronuts. Cronuts

I read my gothic piece. It's still awful, but I got lots of helpful feedback, so I'm generally excited to revise. Why can't it just do what I want it to do? (Said every writer ever.) I wish we didn't have to turn it in the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. More time would be helpful.

I have "Danger! High Voltage" stuck in my head now. I hope you do, too.

2 comments:

Please say hi.