Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I'm Considering a Move to L.A.

Well, not a move--a visit. And not considering--I am indeed going. Tomorrow, in fact. You'll have to excuse the imprecise title. It's an Art Brut song. Many adventures await me in the Golden State, but I want to save everything for when I get back, so no details yet.

Instead let me tell you what's been happening this past week.

The exhaustion never ends. I thought last week was busy, since we had to finalize our students' midterm grades. I'm afraid that the upcoming weeks, however, are going to be much worse. I have an essay due for Gothic Fiction class next Thursday, a pedagogy presentation due next Friday, and I have to submit my next fiction piece for workshop next Friday as well. That's what I'm most worried about; I have no idea what I want to submit. I've been working on a series of linked flash pieces, but I know they're not ready for workshop yet. I've started writing the gothic fiction piece that we'll turn in at the end of the semester for Maile's class. I suppose that if I managed to bang out the rest of that I could workshop it, but I don't know that I'll be able to finish in time. There is one older piece I could submit, since it's at least a finished draft, but I'm afraid. It's weird. In terms of how it's written, I mean. It's written in letters and report cards and IM conversations. I don't want to be laughed out of the classroom if it doesn't work.

I'll have to think about it.

I'm still stuck on what to do with Pretending to Know You. I want to keep it going in Vegas, but it's difficult to find the time, or even the inspiration. If anyone can suggest a viable Las Vegas angle (i.e. people on the CTA in Chicago), I'd be grateful. I am editing a manuscript of several PTKY stories from Chicago to submit to a few chapbook contests. That's another thing I have to finish--the deadline for most of the contests is November 1st.

I did lots of work (too much work) for Pedagogy class over the weekend, but I did manage to have some fun as well. Saturday evening was the MFA girls' night. Me and the other lady-writers gathered at Jean, Brittany, Austin, and Shaun's for an evening of snacks and wine and chitchat, and it was delightful. (We kicked Austin and Shaun out first, of course. Actually the men decided to have their own guys' night. I'm sure it wasn't as good, although I did hear it may have involved shirtlessness?) On Sunday night I went to see Gravity with a few other MFA-ers. The cinematography was gorgeous, but I had a difficult time suspending my disbelief. The dialogue was often cheesy, and absurd stereotypes abounded. (How do you know it's the Chinese space station? The floating ping-pong paddle, of course! And you know the Russians have vodka stowed away on the ISS.) Nevertheless, I was holding my breath most of the time.

Today Dr. Roop observed my English class. I think it went well. I talked about logical fallacies today, so I showed the kids the "burn the witch" clip from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. They seemed to like that.

That's about all I can think of for now, which is a good thing, since I have to change clothes and go to Zumba. Exhaustion is not an excuse for laziness! I shall write again when I return from the sunny climes of Los Angeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.