Tuesday, October 29, 2013

About the time I ditched Nevada for Nevada Day

Nevada Day occurs annually on the last Friday of October. It's a holiday for Nevada to celebrate its Nevada-ness. Or something like that.

The point is: we had the day off school. Since I feel no particular obligation to Nevada (it's nice and all, but I haven't left the state since I arrived), I decided to spend my weekend in Los Angeles. This was most certainly the correct decision.

It was a lovely time. I stayed with Katie, my good friend from high school, at her gorgeous apartment by Griffith Park. The weather was unseasonably warm, and I enjoyed wandering her adorable neighborhood--very high-end hipster. Lots of trendy cafes, bookstores, boutiques, and the like. I even walked right past Kristen Schaal, one of my favorite comedians. I didn't say anything to her because I didn't want to be that person. I didn't realize running into celebrities in L.A. was something that actually happened, though.

On Friday evening we attended Mindshare L.A.'s 6th Annual Halloween Masquerade. Picture the most stereotypically Los Angeles event you could possibly attend. You are picturing this event. We drove to an area full of warehouses that appeared abandoned at first glance, but were actually full of restaurants and markets and studios. The masquerade took place at Lot 613, an art gallery in one of these warehouses. Practically everyone we talked to was an artist or worked in the entertainment industry. Before the party started, Mindshare brought in a few people to give talks. For instance, the masterminds behind the waiver-requiring haunted house experience "Blackout" discussed how they got into the business and how they scared people. We played a zombie infestation logic game with a bunch of strangers. We peered into interactive art exhibits. We danced to the music of "DJ Pumpkin" (who people seemed far too excited about--although any DJ who kicks the party off with Bowie is alright by me) in a blacklight room where painters were creating glowing pictures. I ran into my second B-celebrity of the day when Santino Rice served me a piece of raw-vegan-gluten-free-cacao-with-dates pie. I regret not asking him to introduce me to RuPaul.

Now we get to the part of the weekend where I basically just ate food. Saturday we had brunch #1 of the weekend at Home, Katie's favorite brunch location. We spent a lazy day shopping and lounging at Katie's apartment, and later I drove to Kenzie and Alex's new HOUSE to catch up with them. It's strange thinking of my friends as homeowners, but that they are--a beautiful 1914 flipped place with a cute front porch and an extensive garden in the back. We were going to go to a hipster hot-dog restaurant in Santa Monica for dinner, but the line was unnecessarily long, so instead we went across the street for Carolina BBQ. Pulled pork. Delicious.

Later I went back to Katie's and carved pumpkins with three of her friends. They discussed D&D and WoW and I was confused but I carved a pretty awesome Night Vale pumpkin, so all was well. (ALL HAIL THE GLOW CLOUD.) We drank hot apple cider and watched scary YouTube videos until 2 a.m.

We kicked off Sunday with brunch #2 at Cafe Figaro, a French restaurant with myriad brunch options. We people watched. We meandered. We checked the air pressure in Katie's tires. And then, alas, it was time for me to return to Las Vegas and all my grad school obligations.

I can't really get the post-vacation blues, though. It may be a busy week, but Justin Torres is coming to do a craft talk with us today! Meeting all these critically well-received authors makes me want to write even more.

Speaking of the craft talk--that's in a half hour. I should go. Until the next adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.