Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Settling In

It seems like blogging is going to be a thing that happens a lot during my office hours. I just sent some reminders out to my class and checked to see if they'd turned in their annotation assignments. I now resign my professorial duties for the day.

The rest of my Labor Day weekend was something of a blur. Sunday morning Richard Wiley invited everyone in the program to his house for brunch. It was nice talking with some of the second and third year students, since I don't know them as well. I enjoyed talking more with the other first-year fiction students, too. For some reason I seem to have fallen in with the poets. Don't know how that happened. I'm more than happy about this--the first-year poets are a lovely bunch--but I'd still like to bond with my fellow fiction writers.

After brunch some of us went swimming, and then we headed downtown for dinner, where even more MFA-ers met us.We tried to go to this "secret" pizza place in the Cosmopolitan, only to discover that it wasn't at all a secret and that it was overpriced. Instead we went to Fremont for pizza. I was excited to go there because I haven't spent much time in the old part of town yet. Anyway, we downed some slices, headed to a British pub, and spent the rest of the evening shouting over the absurdly loud music.

Monday was procrastination catch-up day. I graded essays and read for my classes. I only left the house once, to get Chipotle for dinner with Lulu. Nothing too exciting.

I'm kind of hoping that we'll all settle in now. Not that I haven't enjoyed going out so much and making new friends. I truly have. But I also know that I need to focus more on why I'm here: writing. And writing requires time. So instead of doing something crazy every night of the week, I'm hoping we might cut it back to three or four nights a week? Something like that?

UNLV has a fantastic, state-of-the-art gym that we're all paying for with our tuition, so I think I'm going to start using it. They have Zumba classes and yoga classes most evenings. I'm not the biggest fan of Zumba, but it's better than walking on a treadmill or lifting weights. They used to have a bellydance class, but they're not offering it this semester. I want to try to get into yoga more as well. I feel like the stretching would be good for both my muscles and my anxiety.

Someone is calling another cubicle, and there is nobody in that cubicle, and the phone won't. stop. ringing. It's driving me insane.

4 comments:

  1. Think of going out as story fodder :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in grad school - as a genetics student, mind you - I fell in with the poets. It was a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete

Please say hi.