Friday, September 13, 2013

Late Nights, Early Mornings

My life is not nearly as exciting as the title of this post suggests. Mostly I'm just an insomniac who has to get up early to work in the writing center. I haven't updated the blog since last weekend, so I thought I'd spend another restless night catching up.

What's new? Monday we went to Freakin' Frog for Michael's birthday, where we made tentative plans for Friday (tomorrow--or I guess today) potentially involving a drag show? More to come on that. 

I can't stop listening to Janelle Monae's new album Electric Lady. It is fantastic. It's soulful, retro (50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, AND 90's), catchy, and it has a guest appearance by Prince. What's not to love? I haven't been this obsessed with an album since I listened to Father John Misty's Fear Fun almost exclusively for three weeks in a row. 

My first real fiction workshop was this week. (We didn't have class on Labor Day.) Overall I found it dynamic and useful. We critiqued Oksana and Amy's pieces not only in broad strokes but also in terms of specific sentences and words. Matt and I are up next week. I submitted my piece for the class to read today. Nervous. I guess I'll let you all know how that goes after Monday.

I'm having my students write journal entries once a week, and I was pleased to discover that most of them actually embraced the exercise. Many of them seem to be legitimately reflecting on the college experience. Like, with real feelings. One of them said I look like Hannah Hart (compliment accepted). One of them wrote in stream-of-consciousness. One of them turned in a piece of fiction about a dragon slayer. Those kids are definitely going to keep me on my toes. 

Lulu and I have started a new tradition: Wednesday night Zumba. I thought I did better this week than last week, but I'm so sore today. It's always worse the day after. At least I don't simultaneously feel like jello this time. I also went to yoga on Tuesday. It's frustrating, because I really want to take a yoga class that will teach me to do yoga. As usual, however, this class is far too big for the instructor to do that. I just have to follow along as best as I can. Despite this, it went fairly well. It wasn't as hard as I was expecting it to be. 

That's all I can think of for now. Still not sleepy. This calls for an episode of The Daily Show. Good night. 

2 comments:

  1. How does one have time for all this??? And how did you find such a great roomie?!
    Love! Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One has time for all this when one is THE TRUE CHAMPION, obviously. :)

      Delete

Please say hi.