Saturday, August 17, 2013

White Puppy, Black Widow Spider

As most of you know by now, I've made it to Las Vegas, Nevada, where I will be pursuing my fiction MFA for the next three years. I believe that personal blogs work best with time constraints. I kept a great one when I studied abroad in Rome and Beijing, but upon my return I couldn't seem to keep one up. What did I do today? Go to school. What did I do after school? Homework. It was boring to write about my day-to-day life in a place I'd always lived (even though I love Chicago).

You might argue that this will be the same thing, and to a certain extent you'd be right. But moving to Vegas is a radical change for me, and not just in climate. I've never struck out completely on my own like this before, so I think keeping a record of how I navigate my new life will be quite enjoyable. Hopefully it will be as enjoyable for you to read as it is for me to write.

Let's begin at the beginning:

Dammit. I've just found out that the cafe where I'm writing closes in twenty minutes. (I don't have internet in my apartment yet.) This calls for bullet points.
  • Drove with Meg and Leta from Chicago to Vegas over a period of four days. Fun, beautiful, exhausting. Utah has no lights.
  • Upon arrival, we stayed with my mom in the Tropicana. Bought things for my new place by day, partied like old ladies in the hotel room by night. Went to a spa one day for mom's birthday. I'm not sure I like spas.
  • I've been writing reflection essay after reflection essay for my writing center orientation next week. Only two more to go, and then I'm free.
  • My new roommate Luisa is delightful. We are, in her words, movie soulmates, and she has an adorable little white dog named Luna.
  • Yesterday I went to happy hour at the Cosmopolitan with several other members of my new program. As of right now, at least, I like them all very much. Hopefully this trend will continue in the future. We then proceeded to one of their houses for a pool party. Apparently pool parties happen a lot. I could get used to this.
  • At said pool party, I saw three black widow spiders on the porch. I had already realized roaches and scorpions would be here, but not black widows. I'll try not to get bit.
I promise there will be a more detailed post next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hi.