Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Walk Like an Egyptian

Today was stressful. I don't know if I've explained this, but during orientation we've basically been lectured at from 8 to noon, then from 1 to 5. Few breaks. It's been exhausting, to say the least. So after working on our syllabi to the point of delirium, a few of us grabbed a much needed beer at the local British pub. 

I'm not so much worried about teaching at this point. I mean, I am worried about that. But today was especially difficult because of the mixed messages we received. Sometimes it seems like they want us to follow the sample syllabus word for word, and sometimes it seems like they want to give us more autonomy. I'd prefer more autonomy, obviously, but I don't want to break the rules, either. I'd be grateful for some specifics. 

Did I mention that I've revised my draconian laptop policy? After consultation with trusted parties, I've determined that banning laptops would make me the most hated teacher in all the land. So instead I've decided on something that is possibly MORE diabolical: they can use laptops for class-related purposes, but if a single person gets caught doing something unrelated to class, everyone loses laptop privileges. (Muahahahahaha!)

Dinner and drinks at the Crown & Anchor were delightful. They played awesome 80s new wave hits the whole time. I got to know Olivia and Michael better, and I got to spend more time with Shaun, who is absolutely hilarious. His impressions are spot on. The four of us decided on some Labor Day weekend plans as well, upon which I will elaborate at a later date. 

Now I am watching David Tennant-era Doctor Who with Luisa, and I'm getting unnecessarily emotional. Time for bed, I think. 

2 comments:

  1. I think you miswrote that penultimate sentence. I think you meant "necessarily emotional," because the Doctor demands all the feels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. He DOES demand all the feels, obviously, even when I don't want to give them. A cruel Time Lord in that way.

      Delete

Please say hi.