Monday, August 26, 2013

Quality

You guys.

I taught my first class ever today.

It went disgustingly well.

I barely slept last night I was so nervous. But something changed while the students were filing in. It felt like someone smacked me across the head with a baseball bat made of resolve. I suddenly knew what I had to do and how I had to do it. 

It certainly didn't hurt that my class seems like a great bunch of kids. They're all freshman, all young. No English majors, but I was expecting that. Most are Las Vegas natives, but I have a few from more exotic climes--Alaska, Hawaii, and so on. They laughed at my stupid jokes, they were willing to participate. My "express your opinions about Daft Punk's 'Get Lucky'" exercise seemed to be successful. They actually debated about it. When they found out I was from Chicago they even started suggesting food places that I needed to try, which I thought was rather kind of them.

Perhaps more importantly, the fact that this is my first teaching gig didn't come up. Of course, now the more intrepid students are going to Google my name, find this blog, and figure that out. DAMN YOU, THE INTERNET!

Oh well. As long as I stay on top of things, I suppose it won't be detrimental to the classroom atmosphere if they discover I'm a karaoke goddess. 

I also had my first fiction workshop today. It's with Richard Wiley, the current head of our program. It was a shorter class than normal, since nobody had any work to share yet. But we did have a great discussion about writers' different aesthetics, and how it's nearly impossible to nail down one's own aesthetic, and how certain authors' aesthetics are more infectious than others. Richard also stressed quality in our writing. He said that it was more important for us to make something than to be somebody. Solid advice, I believe. I'm excited to get started.

In order to wind down from our first day, Shaun, Michael, Olivia, Austin, and I went to this divey little joint called The Dispensary. OH MY GOODNESS DO THEY HAVE INCREDIBLE BURGERS. It's the perfect greasy bar burger, and it's huge, and it's only $6 (with fries). I inhaled mine. This calls for a tiny dance party in my bedroom. Classes at the gym don't start until next week. 

You guys. 

I'm glad I moved here. 

8 comments:

  1. AW YISS TEACHIN YO STUDENTS

    LEARNIN THE WRITINS ALL GOOD

    AY YISS

    (I'm super happy you're so stoked)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I should have them analyze the rhetorical situation of your comment sometime in class ;)

      Delete
  2. This is awesome. I'm so glad that you had a great first day and that you could share it with us. I look forward to more Las Vegas adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, adventures there will most certainly be.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Kat :) How are things back in good old Illinois?

      Delete
  4. I am so happy for you! Sounds like a great start....I'm not surprised in the least! Love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Presumably this is mom? You might want to sign your comments, just so I know who's telling me that he or she loves me. :)

      Delete

Please say hi.